Learn to Ride
Learn to Ride a Motorbike in Glasgow
Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) is a course you must take before you ride a moped or motorcycle on the road. The training ensures you can ride safely on your own (up to a 125cc for 2 years) and must be completed before you can take your full moped or motorcycle test.
CBT isn’t a test that you pass or fail, but a day of training to complete. After you have completed CBT, you can ride a:
- Moped or scooter if you are 16 years or older
- Motorcycle up to 125cc and with a power output of up to 11kW if you’re 17 or older
You don’t need to take the CBT if:
- You want to ride a moped or scooter (up to 50cc) and you passed your car driving test before 1st February 2001
- You want to ride a motorcycle and have a full moped licence from passing a moped test since 1st December 1990
- You have a full motorcycle licence for one category and want to upgrade to another
Where can you do your CBT?
All official CBT centres are regulated by the DVLA, and you can find a motorcycle or moped CBT course here.
Here at Portman’s, we recommend Harley’s Rider Training in East Kilbride or A2B Motorcycle Training in Livingston for your testing.